As funny as it may sound, it seems as though it is a lot harder to eavesdrop on someone when you are actually trying than it is when you are not. I have to go out of my way to try and overhear peoples conversations on the bus seeing as i am use to listening to my i-pod and don't usually listen to other people. Other peoples voices annoy me when I'm trying too concentrate on my own thoughts.
My favorite conversation that i have heard so far was this morning , as i was waiting for the morning bus. The bus is usually packed at this time and the line up HUGE so i was lucky to hear anything at all. I stealthily turned off my music when i noticed that two girls in front of me were having a conversation and i listened carefully. It wasn't very interesting but it was pretty silly. one of the girls was dominant in the conversation , talking most of the time as the other listened carefully
and nodded at the appropriate times. The one that was talking continuously started of by talking about her job. I guess it was her job because that's what i heard when i turned off my headphones. She was describing to her quieter friend how an old lady had offered her cough droplets because she sounded sick and then ordered soup. She then went on to make the observation that "old people seem to love soup. Only they order it allll theee tiimeee... I mean we run out of stalk all the time. they just love it. Its weird how all old people just love soup."
I thought about 2 things as i was writing down their conversation: 1) Personally, I think that was a pretty bold statement. My grandmother (who in my opinion is not that old but others may think otherwise) hates soup. what does that make her ?? What about me ? I adore soup but I'm most definitely not old. i don't appreciate her saying that ONLY old people order soup because i order soup all the time when i go to a restaurant. Of course I'm assuming she works at a restaurant since i didn't hear the conversation from the beginning. 2) hearing them talk about soup made me super hungry. Writing about it right now is making me even hungrier. So I'm going to go make myself some soup even though I am not an old lady.My favorite conversation that i have heard so far was this morning , as i was waiting for the morning bus. The bus is usually packed at this time and the line up HUGE so i was lucky to hear anything at all. I stealthily turned off my music when i noticed that two girls in front of me were having a conversation and i listened carefully. It wasn't very interesting but it was pretty silly. one of the girls was dominant in the conversation , talking most of the time as the other listened carefully
and nodded at the appropriate times. The one that was talking continuously started of by talking about her job. I guess it was her job because that's what i heard when i turned off my headphones. She was describing to her quieter friend how an old lady had offered her cough droplets because she sounded sick and then ordered soup. She then went on to make the observation that "old people seem to love soup. Only they order it allll theee tiimeee... I mean we run out of stalk all the time. they just love it. Its weird how all old people just love soup."I hope next time i get the privilege of hearing a more intelligent conversation =)

Wow Adela, my life has forever changed. Soup you say haha, I myself am not a huge fan of the soup I think food should be eaten not sipped. I am glad to see that you found the soup conversation the most interesting of the day. I am not sure what to comment on the fact you have amazing font colouring my blog wouldn't let me do that for some reason. I do not know why possibly because my life sucks. I do want to say that the old lady who offered cough drops is entirely sweet and clearly shows why I adore older people, they are wiser ( which is not hard with today's youth see: Soup conversation) and they are courteous Im sure if someone our age, give or take a couple years , heard someone who was serving them food cough they would either throw a fit on how unsanitary the restaurant is or comment on how horrible it would be to wear a hair net.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad this assignment has encouraged you to "unplug" and participate in the world. :)
ReplyDelete