Thursday, February 19, 2009

Oralb's Diary

Dear Diary,

I have entered a great depression. It's not just today; its been a little while now and I just cant push these feelings away. They eat away at me every morning and night as I head to work, every minute before I go to sleep and every afternoon as I prepare for a fresh round of gossip from my neighbors. I can't help but feel that I am meant for something greater as I sit here day by day and listen to Soni ( short for Sonicare) tell us what she saw when we were sleeping. I doubt any of what she says is true but to be honest I don't care much about the bosses and most -if not all- her gossip is about them.


"Did
you guys see the little one flush her lunch in the toilet this morning ? She went from bulimic to anorexic ! Not only does she throw up every day but she also stopped eating !!! How do these girls do that to themselves, Gosh, look at them ruin their lives."
" how do you know?? What makes you so smart , I mean for all you know that's healthy for them ... not the not eating part but the throwing up part " Braun says to her as i listen.
" Looky here mister, I now my owner Billy doesn't throw up after every meal so that CAN'T be normal. Besides , i listen to The older woman who they call mom and that dad guy and they are worried about her ! Don't you care Oby ?" That's what they call me. Oby, short for Oralb. Since I'm the newest one around, Soni thinks its cute, but I think it's annoying.
"Oby, do you notice a difference in her ... I mean she IS your boss."
" Well I wouldn't know, she's my first boss." I said drowsily. I'm always tired these days and I can never seem to get enough sleep. I hear Brauns faint voice in the background telling her to leave the kid ( he's referring to me I suppose) alone. I turned around as I usually do and got ready for a nap but again couldn't help that feeling of depression.


I hate my job and soon my boss Cindy would come in and wake me up. I hate my job. I should try to get some sleep before I have to head out again.


Oralb



Dear Diary,

A different day approaches but I can only expect the same routine. I have been here only for a year now but I still refrain from socializing with the others. I'm not antisocial or anything, I just don't have much to say I guess. Sometimes I wish I could talk to somebody; tell them how I'm feeling. I would tell them about my dreams and how this is nothing like what I expected it to be.
My job is horrible. No one else seems to mind it so I am constantly wondering if there is something wrong with me. Was I made the wrong way ? What's wrong with me? Everyone seems to enjoy their job , after all it is what we are built for, but every time Cindy picks me up , I get this feeling of pending doom. I wonder if maybe that's how Cindy feels. Maybe that's why I'm so down all the time.


Cindy isn't the happiest of the bosses from what I've noticed, but could she really be as depressed as I am ? Soni talks a lot but I've never heard her talk about one of us not liking it around here. I've heard stories about traveling and moving around and i see how excited Braun gets when she tells these stories, yet none of that seems to cheer me up. This can't be my future. I can
t be stuck here listening to Cynical Braun and Airhead Soni. I wish I could quit, but I know there is no way out. The only time that we are replaced is when we are of no use anymore. Once our hair gets thinner and out of shape, then the bosses replace us , but then what ? Can I wait that long ? It's only been one year since Cindy unwrapped my packaging and I entered this depression. I remember waiting in the office of the woman in white. Waiting for her to put me in the hands of an eager , younger boss. When she finally did , I was filled with excitement. At first, the first few weeks, I was happy and nothing seemed as horrible as it does now, but once Cindy started throwing up I couldn't handle my job anymore. I hate my job. I wish I could quit.

Oralb


Dear Diary,

Something please put me out of my misery ! Today, I had to work 4 times. Cindys pink machinery grabbed hold of me for the fourth time a few minutes ago and now I'm all wet and left with an acid-y after taste. I'm not sure what she was trying to do but she used me along with another substance after every time she threw up. Soni said she read the label and that it was called baking soda but i just don't understand why. Have I not been doing a good job ? She thrust me into her compartment and to work i went. rubbing my hair along the white blocks and letting the pieces of stuff get tangled in it. When she added the "baking soda" I felt horrible. Not only was it smelly but it made her mouth taste disgusting, a lot worst than usual. Then came the liquid which usually makes it all better and i can relax. She t
hen threw water into the compartment and i knew it was a sign that she was finished. This usually happens two times a day but lately it has become more. I Cannot handle this. After the last time, i decided that i NEEDED to talk to Braun , seeing as he was the oldest. Maybe he would know what I was feeling.


Of course he wasn't much help. I asked him to describe his job and he said that it was fine, no extra substances poured in except for the minty one which makes our hair softer, and that's about it. I hinted that I hated the smelly acids and the funny texture and that's when Braun
sounded surprised. Dad, the oldest of the four was, Brauns owner so he had been working the longest but he looked shocked. " what do u mean acid-y ? "
" well I don't know, " I said, " between the blocks and around the compartment, its not food, its more then that. The food even is...strange to me"
"Oh, poor kid, maybe its all the throwing up shes been doing. Maybe Soni's right and it IS bad for them, and even for you. I guess you'll never know what your job is really supposed to be like."
"well how do YOU feel after work?" i asked timidly.
"hmm, fulfilled."
And I stopped there. That is exactly what I have been missing. I want to feel fulfilled and that is not how Ii feel after work. Not like Braun or Soni or all the other stories that I have heard. I am not fulfilled a
nd something has got to change.
I have a plan Diary, and if it works, next time I will be writing to you from a different place.

Oralb


Dear Diary !

YOU WONT BELIEVE WHERE I AM !! I pulled it off ! You should have seen me diary, so clever and confident and now I'm freeeeeee ! I just couldn't take it anymore and today i mad e a decision to leave. I had planned my escape for a few days but nothing had happened because Soni and Braun would NOT help me.
" You have no way of knowing that it is better out there ! You can't just go and hope! You have to know where that things goes !" Soni screeched, but I didn't care. I was going to make it out of there with or without their help. At first , i though of jumping into the round bowl of liquid beside the sink where we reside. That seemed too dangerous though and i didn't know how much liquid I could take. then it hit me. I could make my way over to the pile of stuff beside the bowl ! All of us have seen Dad take that and replace it every week so why not? I decided that i would go and take a chance, get myself out of this hell !
"Look kid, I don't know much about the outside, but this sounds crazy. I have seen many just like us be thrown into that pile after they have been rendered useless. Is that where you want to go ? "Braun a
dvised me , but I still didn't care. I am on my way to greatness! ANYTHING is better then being back there.


So I escaped. As Cindy's pink device picked me up once again, the liquid in her block compartment was flowing out. I went to work with my hair but half way through, she had to rinse the compartment and that's when i wiggled out of her hand and right into the pile of stuff beside the sink. i heard Cindy curse as i was sliding in with the paper and things which i had never seen before, " OH NO , damn it, there goes my toothbrush !"


Now I am on my way Diary. On my way to a better place, a new place. I have been traveling all day and have not yet seen day light, but I'm sure when i do i will be somewhere better. I haven't felt this happy and excited in a very VERY long time. I am thrilled and my bristles are standing higher in excitement. This is it Diary. this is my calling.

Oral-B
The Toothbrush

1 comment: