Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Alcoholics Anonymous Much ?

I don't know if in general I would judge others this much but since this assignment requires me to, I have no other choice. I was having a horrible day today and this conversation is about the only thing that went right. I left school early due to a pounding headache and i stumbled upon gold. I was on the bus on my way home right around 12 and my head was hurting too much to put my headphones on. The last thing on my mind was eavesdropping but it was very quiet on the bus and these women were pretty loud.


Woman: So do u wan to hit up a bar today , he he
Girl: MOM ! It's not even happy hour yet !


Is it just me or is this not what a typical mother daughter should be arguing about ? When I go home, the first thing my mother asks me is " how was school" not " what are we doing tonight?" Their conversation boggled my my mind! The girl went on to say how she "totally wasn't expecting" to see her m other the bar last night and that next time they should ask her before they bring anyone home. the mother should ask the daughter.


As i got off the bus, i lost the source of conversation but went on pondering. since when did mothers go from providing us with nutrition to providing us with alcohol ? The girl in the conversation was around 18 seeing as she had a job but was not yet legal age. If our mothers become our friends, then who will become our mothers ? How is it that someone loses all responsibility over their own child? What would it take for a mother to realize what she has done to her daughter ?


It baffled me to see such an exchange between mother and daughter. To be honest it also scared me a little. Partying with my mom ( regardless of how cool she is) has never really been at the top of my to do list. Maybe she was a young mom , but then why have a daughter who you will corrupt. I would not bring a child into this world unless i planned to raise them well. I'm not trying to judge but it is hard not to. A mother who can only think about alcohol and partying and a daughter who is stuck in between. Am i crazy or is this totally wrong ?

1 comment:

  1. "If mothers become our friends, then who will become our mothers?" A very pointed question that.

    Shocking topic of conversation, yes. Surprising? Not so much. It's a sad state of affairs.

    By the way, this assignment does not require students to judge others, but to use judgement. Two different things. :)

    ReplyDelete