The second day of eavesdropping and this thing does not seem to be getting any easier. I started to make the extra efforts today trying and searching for good conversations around me, but no luck. On the bus this morning it was either just small exchange of words or conversations that i could not fully hear do to the noise of the huge crowds. I decided to go out for lunch , maybe i would get lucky , and boy did i get lucky.
As i am sitting at subways ( the restaurant), waiting for two of my friends to finish buying their lunch, two little boys walk in. This was strange because i don't usually see anyone except for E.Y.C.I. students in the area around lunch time. But here they were, two little boys walking into subways and smiling from ear to ear, who could not have been older than 11. 11 years old at most. They the proceeded with their conversations about drugs.
boy1- Did you see them ?
boy2- Yea i see them all the time at the skate park ... getting high .. he he he
boy1- ha ha so do u think you could just go in front of the cops and smoke weed without them being able to do anything?
boy2- i don't think so .. i mean i don't know .. its not like you can just go in front of the station with your gong and start smoking.
boy1- yea your right. Oh, and its a bong by the way. Not gong. Bong.
boy2- Oh, OK.
My friend and I were both staring at each other wide eyed in amazement. Did i mention they could not have been older than 11 ? And even that is pushing it. These rugrats were in line waiting to buy their sandwiches and were talking about drugs. 11 !!!! The conversation continued on and they did not fail to mention drugs such as heroine and cocaine. WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO? I felt so strange looking at these perfectly normal looking boys talking about drugs as if they know everything. When i was 11 the only thing i knew was barbies and spelling homework. Today's culture has boys as young as 11 in environments where people around them are doing drugs and acting as if it is perfectly normal. I'm not sure what to think about this. What have we done ? As teenager we don't realize who we are influencing and honestly even if we did we wouldn't care. Parents are also to blame because they do not monitor where their kids are hanging and what the people around them are doing. When i was 10, I wasn't even allowed to go to my friends house without my older sister walking me there. The only place i could walk alone to was school. There and back. And even then i wasn't alone. Its ridiculous how much freedom parents are giving to their children at such a young age.
As we walked outside, my friend and I were speechless. We didn't discuss what we heard but we were both thinking the same thing.
About Me
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I don't even know what to say. I ma shaking my head, and will continue to do so for some time.
ReplyDelete